页面

2012年8月22日星期三

Asian American Families-1

Asian American Families-1

I just noticed this on BBC, and obviously I can't post it in my birthclub or I'll get flamed to death, but do you think Asians in general are a bit more materialistic?
I mean I guess I grew up thinking that having handbags by Chanel and Louis Vuitton are the norm. I own several and my husband buys me about one a year. We got Hannah a Quinny stroller and buy her Oilily, Daily Tea and Polo clothes, we're not rich but it's not THAT expensive if you buy it on sale.
I once posted in my birth group that I loved my Quinny stroller and most of the responses were like who would buy such an expensive thing? and there was a followup post asking what's the most expensive thing they ever bought for their baby in reference to my post about my stroller.
So my question is, do you think Asians are raised to be a bit more materialistic?
hmm. i see where you are coming from. i think it depends. i know a lot of asian families that only care about high end brands, and then i know a lot of asian families who clearly have $$ but totally do not show it at all and live very very modest lives. my family was the latter, and i had no idea we were "wealthy". my parents always used coupons for everything, always bought things on sale/discount, etc. etc.
so many of my friends come from immigrant chinese families who came over to the US for the american dream, but still pinch pennies like crazy. i used to joke with my friends that they were still in "famine mode".
maybe it depends on what generation you are talking about? i can see my generation's kids being spoiled. but us, with the penny pincher parents that we had, not as much. (this is just my personal experience, of course)
I think so, yes. At least my parents' generation is. But sometimes I think it's because they actually lived during or rightbafter the war and so they have known poverty and hunger and so they are insecure and therefore compensate by making sure that they have the possessions and status symbols to show they are doing well now. Come to think of it, even people from my generation (like my cousins) who were born an raised in Korea are also obsessed with brand names and such.
It drives me nuts. My parents go to church and are very active in it, they have even gone to Guatemala for missions trips. But my mom is constantly nagging me about my clothes and car, trying to get me to wear Escada and drive a Benz.
Personally I don't care all that much. I have some nice things, but I also appreciate value and buy stuff on sale. LO's clothes are mostly from Target, although i splurged on some Daily Tea too (sale on Amazon). I don't think it's an Asian or non-Asian thing for me, it's just me being practical without depriving ourselves too much.
Honestly yes aunts (korean) and husbands family (Filipino) are defintely very but so are many other races. My Mom is Hispanic and everything must be name brand and my dad has no problem buying it for her. And like PP stated I think it's based on and how they grew up. They didn't have much so they use namebrands as status symbols.
If i sit back and think about it. yes I do tend to spend alot on my daughter (I used to spend alot on myself) but, it's just normal to me, like you said it's how I was raised so it's normal. (Imma sale hunter too, so I don't feel so guilty sometimes)
I only think it becomes a problem when people define worth on what they own because at the end of the day it's just stuff and you can't take it with you when you die.
Also, it's not so much the name brand that matters to me as much as the quality I think quality is important. (side note I was going to get a Quinny but settled on the bumbleride how do you like it?)
Christina I agree. When I first graduated college and got my first real job and moved out did I realize I can no longer afford the lifestyle I grew up in. My parents would totally buy me gifts that I had no use for, I mean they're nice but honestly just give me the cash. ha ha
orangemomo, I love her Quinny, I just have 2nd thoughts on her Maxi-cosi carseat that is supposed to fit on the Quinny frame, it never clicks into the base right so I wish I stayed with the Chicco travel set I originally got
I'm not sure if asians are raised to be a bit more materialistic but I do think that a majority of asians do like nice things. I wasn't raised materialistic at all. My parents dressed me in shopping mall brand clothes but my dad was always against higher end brand names or even shopping too often, period! I remember I got a gucci watch from my bf senior year and my parents were pissed that he got me a designer watch. I don't think all of us are raised in a materialistic environment but I do tend to like higher end stuff even though I try to be frugal. I enjoy shopping at walmart as much as I like shopping at Burberry. As long as it's cute in my eyes I'm good. I did notice recently. I told myself I would not get a designer diaper bag in the beginning for my baby and looked around for normal efficient diaper bags. I hate being this way but I can't help it. I just like "nicer" things and end up thinking splurging every once and awhile should be allowed. I wasn't raised materialistic but I think I appreciate finer things in life a tad bit more than the average jane. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use before using this site.

没有评论:

发表评论